Batchworth Mill first made paper in 1755 and was known as Mill No 433 in the Excise List.  The mill was occupied by the Fourdriniers when John Dickinson took it over for the production of half-stuff for use at his other mills (Apsley and Nash at that time) in 1818.  Note that this is the same year that the canal was diverted at Apsley and so he would have used the canal for transportation.  Dickinsons gave up the lease in 1888 after Croxley had been remodelled to become the prime papermaking centre for the Company.